Monday, May 28, 2012

Firenze, Italy


May Twenty Seventh, 2012 –

I got up early this morning because I had to do some laundry again.  I went strait to the launderette and threw my clothes in and then went strait to look for a SIM card for my burner.  After purchasing the SIM I went back to finish my clothes and fold them.  Today was the classes first day in Firenze, Italy.  Everyone met up at the hotel at 12:00 and we threw our bags in a room so we could go to the Ufizzi Galleria right by Brunelleschi’s Duomo.  Today Anoop told Brady and I to lead the group to the desired location and luckily we had walked by it last night on our way to Osteria de Benci.  We led the group there quickly and flawlessly.  When we got there we saw more statues outside of the galleria, and then we continued on inside.  Once we were inside we saw many works of art and sculptures by some great artists of the past. 



 Brunelleschi's Duomo

After touring the gallery I had to walk back to the hotel to get my SIM card password out of my bag in order to get my burner to work.  I made it there and back in about 20 minutes, which was definitely a brisk pace.  The group met back up outside the gallery at 2:30 and then we walked to the Academia Gallery.  This is where “David” the real sculpture is held.  This sculpture was absolutely amazing because of its balance and shear size.  A neat thing about the sculpture is the fiber optic sensor it had on it in order to observe excessive vibrations.  This sculpture was absolutely phenomenal not only because the size and balance, but also because nothing was holding up the massive structure. 
Gates of Paradise
Lastly we walked to Ponte de Vecchio and walked across the bridge to see all the shops along it and view the bridge itself.  On our walk home we passed by some street vendors selling everything from leather to jewelry and all sorts of knick-knacks. 

 Ponte de Vecchio
For dinner a couple of us walked down the street to a quick pizzeria for some take away.  I told them to give me the best pizza they had and “Rocky” the one who took my order hooked it up.  This was definitely some of the best pizza yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment