Saturday, May 19, 2012

Barcelona First Full Day


May Sixteen, 2012 –

Today was our first full day here in Barcelona and we once again set out early in the morning.  We found the bicycle shop that we rented the bikes from and got a quick break down of some rules and what we would be doing on the bike ride.  We biked through a good little bit of Barcelona and saw a few buildings done by Gaudi.  Throughout the ride we also learned some history of buildings and we stopped for a break on the beach with a quick drink.  The total duration of the bike ride was about 3 hours and after that we went Sagrada Familia.  This is a cathedral that has been under construction for over 130 years.  It is a very modern looking cathedral on the inside and very ornate stone carvings on the outside.  People in Barcelona do not want to quit the construction of the cathedral because for as long as it has been under construction, Barcelona has been thriving. 





Finally tonight for dinner Jack, Dave, Tanner, and I made it to Quimet & Quimet for a very Mediterranean and local “dinner”.  We arrived around 9:45 tonight and tried to figure out the menu because it was only in “Catalunya”.  I decided to go with a small bagel with cream cheese, Salmon, olive oil, and a little vinaigrette. We also shared the combinatos de carne, the combinatos de quesos, and the combinatos de mariscos.  These were platters with different types of meats, cheese, and seafood.  They were all pickled so they were very different Mediterranean styles of food, except the cheese of course.  After dinner we went walked around for a little then just went back to the hotel to chill.

2 comments:

  1. Quimet Quimet huh, that place really worked me over. This was the restaurant that was on No Reservations with Anthony Bourdane. I've always been down to try new food and new restaurants but this one, for me, was not one of the better trys. I should have jumped on the band waggon and gotten what you guys were getting, and I also should have checked out the prices before buying one of everything it seems like. The pickled meat kind of caught me off guard and I couldn't really handle that. I guess thats why Anthony Bourdane has a show and I don't. You live and you learn.

    Tanner Stallings

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your blog, it seems as if you guys had quite the interesting Mediterranean dishes. The bagel, cream cheese, Salomon with olives and vinaigrette sounds odd for a dinner but the combination platters with meats, cheeses and seafood must have added an abundance of authentic Mediterranean flavors. I can image that meal was great and it definitely was a cultural experience. I could get used to the Catalonian schedule, late meals, even later partying and sleeping late sounds good to me. Your blog describes your meal well and I got a laugh out of your descriptive, after dinner experience, were some chilling took place.

    ReplyDelete