Monday, May 21, 2012

Roma here we come




May Nineteenth, 2012 - 

This was a very early start for us, but we made it to the airport by a 25-minute cab ride.  I got breakfast at McDonald's and then went to the gate to wait for takeoff.  We arrived in Rome, Italy around 8:25 and we walked to the baggage claim to grab our luggage.  Everyone was grabbing their bags as they came around the way and then it stopped.  I noticed that everyone had their bags and that apparently mine did not make it.  I had to go to the luggage claim and file a report.  We then set off on an hour and a half bus ride to our hotel, and the bus driver was driving a stick shift and it was a pretty rough ride.  When we finally made it to the hotel we got our rooms and set out for a little lunch at Primo.

While we were walking to Campo de Fiori we came across another riot/strike in the middle of a square right in front of the Pantheon.

 At lunch I had short macaroni with a marinara sauce, sheep's cheese and milk and some meat.  This was a great first meal in Rome and it was not too expensive.  We finished up lunch and then came back to the hotel to catch up on some work and sleep.  We met back up at 6:30 to go to the Gates of Rome and after that we went to the Drunken Ship, which is an American bar.  While we were there they had student discounts and we were able to watch Chelsea win the championship.  This was an awesome time getting to watch it with so many people and actual “football” fans.  After the bar we took a cab home and went to sleep cause tomorrow is our first full day.

3 comments:

  1. Did you ever get your luggage? It sounds like you are having a blast, love and miss you Georgie! -Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can’t believe that the airline didn’t get your bag on our plane. I think after our experience with Vueling, on the way to Rome, I won’t ever use them if I’m in Europe again. The worst part was the actual flight over. Luckily I’m not too tall, but my knees were still jammed into the seat in front of me. I can only imagine a tall person trying to fly on that airline. I understand that they are trying to get as many people on as possible to keep fares low, but it’s ridiculous how little legroom are on their planes. Oh well, glad you got your bags after all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joel, I felt your pain in the airport at the baggage claim as my bag has been left behind by the airlines before. It is a hassle to deal with airport personnel in these types of situations but I couldn’t imagine how much of a pain it would be in a foreign, non-English speaking country. On the upside, you didn’t have to haul your big pack all around Rome’s public transportation for a couple hours on our long journey to the hotel. You had delivery service on your bag. Just a day late…

    ReplyDelete